Young Justice #1
Written By: Brian Michael Bendis
Art By: Patrick Gleason
Colored By: Alejandro Sanchez
Lettered By: DC Lettering
Covers By: Gleason & Sanchez
It’s been a long time folks. Not since October of 2011 have we seen Tim Drake, Cassie Sandsmark, Connor Kent, and Bart Allen- “What about New 52?!” NO! We do not speak of it! It does not exist…Other than to ask questions of continuity later…Anyway. 8 years since the true original 4 of the 2nd generation of teen heroes was together. Whether the circumstances make sense or not, I must at the very least thank Brian Michael Bendis and DC for bringing the kids who got me into comics back together. Let’s begin and see if it’s a good read…Also, I will say anyone who is expecting the TV show team is in for a rude awakening.
A brand new day in Metropolis as Jinny Hex, granddaughter of the Cowboy hero Jonah Hex rides into town with something in her truck bed that apparently only Superman can help her with. Also in the city is Tim Drake aka Robin (#yes) apparently going to college and Cassie Sandsmark aka Wonder Girl currently living in Metropolis with some kind of secret. As the armies of Gemworld attempt to invade Earth on a quest to find Superman cuz apparently 7 crises have occurred and only Superman can help fix Gemworld, Robin immediately springs into action and after the armies force her hand, Wonder Girl flies into the fray too. Jinny decides to lend a hand along with a giant Green lantern mech calling itself Teen Lantern…okiedokie…and of course who else runs into the fray but Bart Allen aka Impulse. I feel like a kid again. With the team partially formed and the day saved, a reunion occurs that just an inner makes a 6-year-old boy happy.
Opinions and Such:
…I’m not crying! Okay, I teared up a bit. But okay let’s break this down. Bendis…Brian Michael Bendis. Let’s chat. For as long as I’ve known you, you have been most comfortable writing for teen heroes. Ever since I began reading Ultimate Spider-man, you’ve shown me that. Towards the end of your time at Marvel, it seemed like you were burnt out on that. But after a little time in Smallville, it seems like you’re ready to get back to it. I have to say the writing in this is top notch. This Gemworld plot is intriguing, the idea of 7 previous crises is definitely worth fan theories galore, but there’s a problem…EVERYTHING ELSE DOESNT MAKE SENSE. I’m gonna do this in bullet points to speed this up.
- Um, why is Tim going to college when he and Stephanie Brown literally lied to Batman at the end of James Tynion’s Detective run and told each other they were going to try and figure out who Connor was and what all the stuff with Doctor Manhattan was?
- *This one might get answered in issue #2 because apparently, it’s going to be a Cassie centric issue so this one might get answered but I’m keeping it here for the sake of this being issue #1* Where’s the Silent Armor that Cassie had in the New 52? Like yes we know she’s a grandchild of Zeus and the niece of Wonder Woman we know this. However she’s seen here looking similar to her pre-Infinite Crisis self with no Silent Armor that gave her powers, wrist bracelets like Wonder Woman, and just say’s she has a secret…Bendis, you need to explain.
- Ummm…so are we just gonna keep doing the Wally West from rebirth thing of reducing the age of characters we want to be fun and hip like they used to be? Cuz like Bart and Connor being 90’s fresh is nostalgic and makes me want to cry but like…come on.
- So like…We’re finally ditching the Red Robin thing and just saying Tim and Damian are both Robin? Is Damian gonna lose the right to be Robin and make all my dreams come true? Come on Bendis! Do it! I dare ya!
- Also, I’m not complaining about a new Black character in my book but like…couldn’t you just race change Arrowette or Mia Dearden Speedy or matter fact just brought Arrowette or Mia in instead of Jinny Hex so like we had an archer to represent the original lineup? I’m just saying you had a golden opportunity here. I still think Teen Lantern has promise though.
- Also, boo no Secret but I can live without a rehash of her and DEO drama #RIPGreta.
- And one last thing…Hey Bart. You can’t say “Young Justice is Back!” when the current canon literally says Young Justice never existed…Just saying.
Okay, I’m done. I promise. Anyway like I said. Bendis has got his teen mojo back. Both Jinny Hex and Teen Lantern, despite my recommendations, are good and hopeful new characters, the return of Amethyst in a noncreepy Futures End war-torn way is always good cuz. Oh dear, I brought up Future’s End I’ve been cursed by the New 52 demons. And the reunion of Bart and Connor and Tim, Cassie and Connor respectively had me shook and feeling like a kid again. The art by Patrick Gleason is just spectacular. I love every page my 3 favorite shots of the whole issue are the Robin and Jinny Hex on the car shot, the “Young Justice is Back!” shot, which as I said makes no sense but it’s still a good image and the reunion at the last page. The detail and the expressive page make this book similar to Mckone’s work on Johns’s Teen Titans when the Young Justice crew graduated to the big leagues. I can’t wait for more.